Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Milking a Pig?

I got a interesting call over the weekend from a local pig farmer, he had a connection with a radio show in Pennsylvania called the Mediocreshow it does podcast. They have been having a on going debate of the ultimate meat. What exactly is the ultimate meat you might be asking. Well Cows have meat and milk which in turn you can make cheese. Chickens have meat and they lay eggs. Pigs they have meat and they do not lay eggs so why not milk one and see if the milk from a pig is better. Well with that question in mind that is were I come in, we on our farm breed pigs and he tried too and it didn't work out so well. So they came out a couple days ago with their film crew and tried to milk one of our sows it didn't go so well we only came up with a drop of milk. So when our moms laid down to feed he decided to take that opportunity to squeeze in and go for it!! Yes he did!!! It was hilarious.We at our family farm were happy to have these sows here to try this out. He is on team pork and said that the taste was a little saltier and with a hint of bacon. Which our Heritage breed is known for their bacon so it doesn't surprise me. We decided it was more the logistics of it and if possible it would make a fantastic cheese.  I have not tried it but my interest has been peaked on the issue.  But as I came in that night and thought about the ultimate meat it leaves me to this conclusion eat pork and drink water. If you are team beef and love steaks well you wouldn't have any milk because you would have steaks. If you are team chicken and love eggs you won't have any meat because that would result in the end of your egg production. So me being team pork thinks that the pigs have made it easy on us and only left us at this time the best choice. I will be adding there podcast to the blog in the near future so look for it. Not always suitable for kids .Also they make it sound like it is at my friend Christians farm but this actually took place at our farm in our pig pens. I guess they just failed to mention it.Here is the link to the podcast.  the crew on x96 talking about milking my sow!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment